Somehow, someway, we still managed to have a pretty interesting week in the world of the NFL without a single game played. The NFL pulls makes its fans bloodlustful for news and discussion of their favorite sport unlike any other. Well, maybe the futbolers of the “other world” have this type of compelling nature and, in fact, they really do but I’d certainly take American ball any day of the week. So what did happened this week?
Coaches Go Round and Round
It continues to be the most interesting topic of the NFL right now or at least it was this week. Last week I mentioned Rex Ryan taking over the Jets, Gruden being ousted and Steve Spagnulo headed to the Rams. Some more good stuff…
The Dolphins have a new majority owner (95%) and Bill Parcells says he is sticking around. Parcells had a clause in his contract that basically stated he could walk away with 10 million plus dollars if the organization was sold but good ole’ Bill says he wants to stay. I really thought he would since he has been trying to get into a spot like this for awhile. He actually wanted to be the GM of the Giants shortly after his Super Bowl win there but for some stupid reason the Giants said no. Go, Bill.
Herm Edwards has FINALLY been fired. I can’t even believe it took this long for Pioli to get rid of him but at least it has happened. That whole organization is gonna be changed real quick with Scotty in place. Mike Shannahan was mentioned as a possible successor but it is rumored he will just be out of football, period, for the 2009 season.
Scott Linehan has been hired to be the offensive coordinator of the Detroit Lions. Probably the dumbest move I’ve seen in the coaching carousel. Linehan never could figure out how to use some pretty damn good players down in St. Louis so I have no idea how he’s going to be a damn thing in Detroit. Could the Lions somehow repeat their 0-16 feat of a year ago?
Dan Reeves, remember that guy? Reeves is interviewing for the offensive coordinator spot open in San Francisco. He is an old school guy who had huge success with the Falcons and could be a perfect match for Mike Singletary.
Another day another New York Giant shot? Yes! Taye Biddle was shot in his hand and leg while visiting his own family. No arrests were made though which I found particularly odd. I wonder if anyone in his family is related to fellow receiver Plaxico Burress.
What would the news be like without the mention of an NFL player caught with marijuana? Seattle’s Leroy Hill was arrested on charges of misdemeanor of marijuana possession. Not only was he stupid enough to be doing pot and get caught with it but it was because he fell asleep behind the wheel of his car at an intersection. What a dumb shit.
JJ Arrington sat out practice this week but says he will be ready in time for the Super Bowl. He’s played well for the Cardinals but if he can’t go for any reason it shouldn’t be a game changing blow
Weird NFL Note of the Week
Michael Irvin is going to be on the boob tube again with a new reality TV show. That’s right, Irvin has created a new TV show that has real life consequences for someone else. Well, I actually think it could be a real good thing. Irvin has an agreement with the Dallas Cowboys to produce a show that will be similar to American Idol except the winner will receive a training camp spot with the Dallas Cowboys. This should could actually be very compelling and I have always believed some great talent has gone unnoticed without a great opportunity. I’m taking a wait and see approach on this.
Let’s wrap this up with the top 10 picks from the initial mock drafts floating around the web. First, let me say that the NFL Network’s Mike Mayock has not released a mockup yet but he is easily the best out there.
Mel Kiper Jr - ESPN
- Detroit - Matthew Stafford QB Georgia
- St. Louis - Andre Smith OT Alabama
- Kansas City - Mark Sanchez QB USC
- Seattle - Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech
- Cleavland- Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest
- Cincinnati - Jason Smith OT Baylor
- Oakland - Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri
- Jacksonville - Eugene Monroe OT Virginia
- Green Bay - Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State
- San Francisco - Aaron Maybin DE/OLB Penn State
I’m going to have to try and dig it up but I think Kiper was embarrassingly wrong in the first round of last years draft. I have a feeling he could repeat this year. I really can’t see Kansas City picking Sanchez that high and Detroit picking a WR doesn’t really sound that great but it is Detroit.
Don Banks - SI.com
- Detroit - Andre Smith OT Alabama
- St. Louis - Eugene Monroe OT Virginia
- Kansas City - Matthew Stafford QB Georgia
- Seattle - Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech
- Cleveland - Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State
- Cincinnati - Brian Orakpo DE/LB Texas
- Oakland - Michael Oher OT Ole Miss
- Jacksonville - Aaron Curry OLB Wake Forest
- Green Bay - Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech
- San Francisco - Mark Sanchez QB USC
I’d say much better here overall. Detroit definitely needs to start building from the inside out though I still don’t know about Kansas City necessarily taking a QB that high.
- What’s with comparing Warner and Manning? Stop that already, media.
- What if Warner retires, where will the Cards be next year?
- Still cannot believe Linehan got a job though it IS the Lions
- Ton of young coaches around the NFL right now. I think it will be more bad than good.
- How many Kurt Warner’s might we miss without NFL Europe or the Arena league?
That’s it for now. SuperBowl match up break down later this week!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.